POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.scene-files : Tierra (LOTW) : Re: Tierra (LOTW) Server Time
1 Sep 2024 20:15:31 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Tierra (LOTW)
From: Christoph Hormann
Date: 28 Jun 2004 07:40:02
Message: <cbovqn$5de$1@chho.imagico.de>
Jaime Vives Piqueres wrote:

>   I only ask you to not publically say what you are surely going to
> think of me when reading my code... :)

ROTFL

I assume Thorstens experience is writing POV-SDL is not sufficient to
actually judge much about your code (although what he thinks might still
be not suited for public citation).

>   All the optimising I know of is "keep the max_gradient low" and "use
> simple functions"... :(

What seems very inefficient to me is

   scale .001 warp{turbulence Terrain_Turb} scale 1000
   scale .01 warp{turbulence Terrain_Turb} scale 100
   scale .1 warp{turbulence Terrain_Turb} scale 10
   scale 10 warp{turbulence Terrain_Turb} scale .1
   scale 100 warp{turbulence Terrain_Turb} scale .01
   scale 1000 warp{turbulence Terrain_Turb} scale .001

since turbulence warps already introduce different scales of turbulence
(how many is influenced by 'octaves').  So by having 6 warps with a
scaling factor of 10 in between you overlay a lot of turbulences of
equal scale which is unnecessary.

Christoph

Last updated 01 May. 2004 _____./\/^>_*_<^\/\.______